I guess after the wedding, the arbor posts could be used as
high-rise bird apartments?
Because the ground where the arbor will sit is uneven, it
needs to be adjustable. These feet were
found in Christopher’s grandfather’s garage.
With these, each post can be raised up to 2” if needed.
Interior of a beam.
The old stock that is 20” from end is there to receive the screws from
the diagonal brace.
The end of the horizontal beam can be left open because a
faux extension (to make the beam appear to be longer) will cover it. The tenon will glide above the old stock
secured between the two holes.
There are 10 crosspieces, each having 4 sides. That is 40 planks that all need to be the
same length. Since the drill press is
heavy and already sitting close to the miter saw, I just turned it into a
cutting stop.
Before assembling the 10 crosspieces, I needed to
fabricate the 20 tenons. This requires a
hole in each end for the wedge to fit through.
The tenon is a rough sawn cedar
2x4.
All the “holes” and the corners cut from the tenons are
thrown into an old bucket that belonged to Christopher’s great-grandmother in
Alabama.
20 tenons finished and ready for assembly.
I built this jig to hold everything while attaching the
interior supports to the tenons (see next pic).
To answer the father’s day card sent from J&E, “I am.”
Some of the tenons ready for crossbeams to be built
around them
assembling the crosspieces
I’ve been writing or painting this phrase in hidden places
on all kinds of remodeling projects for as long as I can remember. I still do!

No comments:
Post a Comment